It would just be too beautiful

So apparently my posts are getting gayer as we go along here, but hey, what can I do? It's a part of me. And I guess it's been coming up a lot lately.

But anyway...so....ummm...

I was at the Ani DiFranco concert last night in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. For those who don't know, she attracts a primarily lesbian audience with a few scant emo boys thrown in the mix and a few straight boyfriends who got dragged along for the ride. So I'm there, in this veritable sea of lesbians, basking in the familiarity of it all, when it strikes me: I need another beer.

Off to the beer tent I go, leaving Mary to hold our spot. Being a typical concert with the typical ridiculously long beer line, I return in about 10 minutes or so to find Mary animatedly in discussion with some chick, K. They appear to know each other, so that's what I assumed. A few minutes later, we are joined by K's friend, A. Everyone is introduced and I find that Mary didn't know them, only butted in on thier conversation and made insta-friends.

So, the opening chick is still on stage so we're not really paying any attention and just having a nice conversation, the four of us. Now, K has this earthy, flowy, californian air about her and just seems like one of those generally optimistic people. There was sort of a lull in the conversation and we all were just kind of surveying the audience and people watching.

There was a lesbain couple behind us spread out on a blanket and they had thier baby daughter with them, playing and giggling. They just looked like they were so happy and in love with each other and the baby.

K and I seemed to notice them at the same time. I was looking at them with something akin to longing, because my wife and I want a child in the worst way possible. But K turns to me, and says, "You know, it really sucks what lesbians have to go through in order to have a baby. Why can't they just create out of thier love? Why can't these two people who are beautiful and love each other, just create a life?" I responded that I had often thought the same thing and that it killed me to know that I have to deal with doctors and sperm banks and a hundred other things that make the experience so clinical, and not really about just my partner and I.

So she looks at me and says, "I think that if that were to happen, it would just be too beautiful for words. If people would ONLY be able to create lives out of love, imagine what a beautiful world it would be."

I hugged her on the spot.

And nearly cried, because it was such an amazing sentiment. That if all children were the product of pure love, and not inconveniences and mistakes as so many of them are referred to, what a beautiful world, indeed.

It would just be too beautiful.

3 comments:

small town dyke said...

Thanks so much for the lovely comment, i don't mind at all that you have linked me to your blog. I was reading some of your older posts and i noticed that you are trying to have a baby. My wife and i have a beautiful 19 month old son. It was a great experience. we used some nontraditional methods. good luck in your quest.

soulspeak23 said...

i'd be interested in your "nontraditional" methods if you're willing to share.
There's a good blog topic if I ever heard one!

small town dyke said...

my email is picturelady1018@yahoo

Me & HH

Me & HH
True Love!

Peeps Who Read Me